Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Power of Recovery and the 12 Steps

I received a surprising email today, although, as someone who has experienced the power of the 12 Steps in my own life, I shouldn't be surprised.

The email was from a relative who has experienced the power of addiction and the even stronger power of recovery. This relative spent a fair amount of time incarcerated for several activities conducted while under the influence. I hadn't heard from him in over 20 years! I received the email today, making amends for some of the things that had occurred over the years. Yes, I accepted his amends, How could I not? I made those same amends to the people I've hurt over the years as a result of my using days.

The 12 Steps can work miracles in the lives of those who choose to truly follow them. Will we never make mistakes again? Of course not...after all, we are only human. But when we do mess up, we have the opportunity to make those amends. Recovery is a program of progress, not perfection. As with any other chronic disease, the risk of relapse...re-activation of the active form of the disease is always possible. That's exactly why we take things one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment